For lunch today, everyone in my family was eating left-over pizza from last night’s dinner, and I really wanted some of that crunchy yumminess. So I tried to make a homemade tortilla pizza. I had gone to Stop & Shop yesterday and discovered vegan cheese from a company called Tofutti. I cannot even describe in words how excited I was since I literally haven’t had cheese for maybe three years now. Therefore, this homemade pizza idea really got me going because I wanted to try out my new cheese. To be honest, I was wary at first as to whether this would work or not, but it turned out perfectly! It was cripsy, completely baked, and delicious. I’m pretty sure I made my mom jealous that I was eating a healthier pizza that she was 🙂 What I really like about this recipe is that it’s what you want – completely up to you to be creative when you make it yourself. You can choose the toppings, the seasonings, and the amount of each serving (cheese, veggie, protein, etc.). Also, it’s so healthy that you can’t even feel guilty when you’re eating this cheesy, crunchy, mind-blowing dish! Enjoy it as your entree, appetizer, or as a side dish with someone else. Let me know how you make it!
Yields 1 serving
Serving Size: ~ 6″ pizza
1 100% whole wheat tortilla
1/2 large carrot, diced
13 – 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 large mushrooms, diced (~ 1/2 cup)
1/2 large yellow pepper, diced
1/2 – 3/4 cup broccoli, chopped
2 slices (or more) Tofutti Soy American Cheese
2 oz LightLife Organic Soy Tempeh
1/2 tbsp oregano leaves
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1. Chop all the vegetables and prepare them by washing. Set aside.
2. Lay a piece of aluminum foil underneath your tortilla.
3. Break each slice of cheese into four, evenly smaller pieces and spread the total eight pieces around the tortilla.
4. Place all of the diced tomatoes around the pizza. Sprinkle your oregano, black pepper, and garlic powder over the tortilla.
5. Then, place all of the other vegetables in no specific order, but be sure to place the tempeh pieces last so the heat from the oven hits it directly, assuring that the tempeh is fully cooked when you eat it.
6. Place the pizza with the aluminum foil into your toaster oven or actual oven and let it broil at ~350 – 400 F for 5 – 7 minutes.
7. Watch your pizza since the tortilla will become blacker (almost burnt but just crunchy like a thin crust pizza), but you may want to remove the pizza at your own time depending on how crunchy you want it – just look to make sure the cheese has melted and you know that it is done. Enjoy warm!