Handvo is one of my mom’s favorite Indian snacks. It is basically an Indian spice cake, baked in the oven like any other cake. It’s made from a blend of Indian spices, squash, and yogurt. Handvo is moist and delicious, savory and tangy, with a nice crunchy top! It’s the perfect side dish to any meal, a snack with some tea, or just a dessert for after any meal! We use a handvo packet mix for this recipe, but this recipe is different than what the packet recipe calls for. If you enjoy Indian food, you will really enjoy this recipe!
Yields 8 – 10 servings
1 Deep Handvo Mix
1/2 Indian squash (dhudhi), shredded
1 cup nonfat yogurt
1 cup lukewarm water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Shred the Indian squash.
2. Open up the handvo packet and pour in the mix.
3. Add yogurt and water.
4. Use your hands or a spatula to mix the batter together.
5. Spray two small loaf pans or one large loaf pan with some PAM. Pour in the batter and bake for about 30 minutes.
6. Then, broil the handvo for about 10 minutes till the top of the cake becomes a “burnt” red color – this will give it a nice crunchy touch.
7. Let the handvo cool. You can top with some olive oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and cloves if you wish. Serve warm!