Yields 8 pieces
Serving Size: 1 slice
1.5 cup all purpose flour (you can use whole wheat, gluten free, or any other flour you wish)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 cup coconut flakes
2/3 cup sugar (I used brown sugar – you can use any you desire and feel free to either increase or decrease the amount you put in depending on how sweet your mangos are and how sweet you want the cake)
1/3 cup canola oil (you can use olive oil or melted vegan butter)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups mango puree (I simply pureed two peeled mangos without the core – you can use canned mango puree if you desire)
1. If you are using fresh mangos, wash and peel two of them. Cut them into slices and blend them together to form a fresh mango puree.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl – flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon powder.
3. In another bowl, mix the canola oil, vanilla essence, sugar, and mango puree together till the sugar seems to have mostly dissolved.
4. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 F.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix well.
6. Pour the batter into a lined baking tin (either use PAM, vegan butter, oil, or a nonstick pan).
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, periodically checking to see if the cake has been completely cooked. When it is done, let the cake cool for ~30 minutes and then take the coconut flakes and sprinkle the entire top of the cake. Cut into desired slice sizes and serve!